Duty of Care legislation applies to all waste producers. In essence the law requires you to take responsibility for waste produced by you or your company. This means that even if a contractor has taken it away you are, ultimately, still responsible for what happens to it. For example if all the carpets in your offices were replaced and the carpet fitter took away the old carpets and instead of disposing of them responsibly fly tipped them then you are legally liable for this. Therefore it is vital that you use a registered waste carrier for the disposal of your waste and ensure that whomsoever you choose is treating your waste as it should be i.e disposing of it in licensed sites be it landfill or treatment plants.

As part of your legal requirement you must ensure that you have a Waste Transfer Note for every bit of waste taken from your site. This may be a ticket for every load or alternatively you may have an Annual Waste Transfer Note, which covers you for a year. This will apply if it is the same waste you are disposing of every day, week, month etc. If you have a permanent container delivered then Frank Rubbish Removal will ensure that you have an annual waste transfer note to cover you until 31st December of that year. In November you will receive a renewal Waste Transfer Note which you must complete and return before January 1st of the following year. These annual waste transfer notes and any individual waste transfer notes (tickets) must be retained by you for two years.

As a registered waste carrier Frank Rubbish Removal have a responsibility on our part to ensure that we deal with all the waste we collect and treat or dispose of in a proper manner. Anyone who transports and disposes of any waste except their own must hold a waste carrier’s license. On request we will supply copies of our waste carrier’s license and site licenses.

Your annual waste transfer note must show what waste you are disposing of, where it has come from and where it is going. The recent introduction of the European Waste Catalogue (EWC) means that waste descriptions must now be in the form of an EWC 6 figure code.
For more information please contact the Sales Department.



The recent transposition of the European Landfill Directive into UK Law has lead to many changes in the way that some wastes can be disposed of. You can find out more in the individual sections on different wastes.

Ultimately it will require that all waste receives pre-treatment before landfill. It is yet to be fully confirmed exactly what will qualify as pre-treatment however it is likely that the sorting process such as we carry out at our MRF will meet the requirement.

At present the landfill directive has resulted in the separation of landfill sites into those for hazardous and those for non-hazardous waste. Only non-hazardous sites are able to accept liquid waste. During the transition period hazardous landfill sites are able to accept non hazardous waste but cannot accept liquid waste. This severely restricts the number of sites that can accept liquid waste as currently the majority are mixed sites. Ultimately liquid waste will be banned from landfill.

For more information please contact the Sales Department.

  1. TYRES

As of July 2003 whole tyres were banned from landfill. Shredded tyres may still be tipped at landfill but only until 2006 at which point there is an outright ban on tyres to landfill. This has opened up a number of disposal routes for tyres including shredding to be used in sporting arenas and horse ménages and also as part of a feedstock for cement kilns. For more information contact the recycling team.


The Waste Electronic and Electrical Equipment Directive bans the use of certain hazardous components in newly manufactured goods in this category. More importantly from a waste disposal perspective it requires that ALL waste goods of this type are recycled as is now the case for refrigeration equipment. This will have a major impact on businesses replacing IT equipment for example as it will no longer be able to go into your general waste container. The latest implementation date is June 2006. If you are interested in finding out about the options available please contact the recycling team.


Banned from landfill some time ago now the ‘fridge mountains’ are now subsiding as the infrastructure to deal with them in the UK develops. Fridges and freezers and indeed other equipment containing refrigeration units must be collected separately from your general waste. For further information contact the recycling team.


Currently these may still be disposed of to landfill however there are recycling options available which recycle all component parts including the harmful mercury content ensuring a minimisation of harm to the environment. Similar options are available for sodium lamps. Eventually these too will be banned from landfill. For more information contact the recycling team.


Food Retailers and Manufacturers may not send raw meat to landfill. It must go to an approved plant for high temperature treatment eg: rendering or incineration prior to landfill or composting. Unfortunately any packaged material can only go for incineration, as it cannot be accepted at rendering plants. Eventually this ban will extend to cooked meat products as well however this part of the legislation has been delayed until the end of 2005. If you think this legislation affects you please contact the sales department for further information.


These require companies with turnover in excess of £2 million and handling over 50 tonnes of packaging material annually to prove recovery and recycling of your obligation. Your obligation is calculated depending on how much packaging you generate and which part in the ‘chain’ you fall. This does not however mean that you have to recycle your own material but you must ensure that an equivalent amount has been recovered and recycled in the UK. You can meet this obligation by purchasing PRN’s (Packaging Recycling Notes), which are issued by accredited reprocessors. You need to either register with the Environment Agency and source your own PRN’s from a third party (Frank Rubbish Removal are able to supply PRNs for our customers if required) or you must register with a compliance scheme. For further information please contact the sales department.


How Can We Help You?

If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.